Monday, December 20, 2010

Sheperd's Pie



Easy favorite. I actually made the filling a week or two ago and froze it in a ziploc freezer bag. I don't like to cook much on Sundays, so I got the bag out of the freezer, defrosted it in the microwave, spooned it into a casserole dish then topped it with instant potatoes, cheese and paprika. My idea of easy dinner, it was very nice and tasted great.

1 lb ground beef/turkey
chopped onion or onion powder
16 oz bag your choice frozen veggies, I used mixed this time
can tomato soup
salt and pepper to taste
mashed potatoes
cheese
paprika

Cook beef with onion, drain fat
Add veggies, soup and salt and pepper, simmer for 5-10 min covered
Dump into 9x13 casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes, cheese and some paprika, it makes a cheery touch :)
bake 350 30 min till top is golden and edges are bubbly.

Note- You can double this recipe, make one and freeze the other if you have a disposable foil casserole dish. (I wouldn't recommend freezing glass dishes, I've heard it can weaken them and make them shatter) Cover with plastic wrap first, then tinfoil, label and freeze. Or just put the extra filling in a plastic freezer bag, that was nice and it defrosted a lot more quickly. Enjoy!

No comments: