Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 1 - Willy's Chili

Sorry that I don't have a photo of this chili. It has a nice, thick, saucy color if that helps. Which it probably doesn't...

This recipe was given to me at my bridal shower, with the ingredients, by a dear friend and neighbor, Nan. So it's always been Nan's chili, but since it's my kids' favorite, they like to call it Willy (after William, no he does not go by that nickname, but it sort of rhymes with chili ;) So, thank you Nan, and here we go:

Nan's Chili/Willy's Chili

1 lb ground beef (ground turkey just doesn't cut it in this recipe)
10 oz can Campbell's French Onion Soup
1 T chili powder
2 t ground cumin
1/2 t pepper
2 cans undrained kidney beans
few drops tabasco (opt)*
6 oz can tomato paste
8 oz can tomato sauce

Brown meat in 1 T oil if desired, crumble.
Puree soup in blender/food processor, pour over meat.
Stir in spices, add undrained beans, tomato paste, tomato sauce.
Stir well, reduce heat med-low and cook about 20-30 minutes until hot and flavors are blended. (I'm pretty sure I cover the pot while this is simmering)

*If I were you and if kids will be eating this, I'd leave out any tabasco/red pepper. I would always forget and add just a dash or two of red pepper, but it would still make it too hot.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: