Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Felt Flower Clippies

Since I have had a girl, I have to admit, I refuse to pay the outrageous prices for hair clips/bows. However, I love doing girlie things with my little girl's hair, especially since she has always had quite a bit of hair! Therefore, I have tried making various different flowers clips and bows. This was my most recent project. It is really basic, but in the future I might try adding different layers. This is the basics to build on. Have fun and enjoy! By the way, this is the first time I have ever done a "tutorial" on something like this so bear with me!

Start with a strip of felt (approximately 1 inch by 6-8 inches, depends on how big you want your flowers and how many petals you want.)

Cut the petals into the strip of felt by making it into this shark tooth looking thing.


Thread a needle. Knot the end of the thread and then do a running stitch at the bottom from one end to the other.


Pull thread tight and attach ends together to make a circle. Secure with a few knots.


Add in a little embellishment to the middle. These are just brads from the scrapbook aisle at a craft store.
I decided to make these into clips. I have also seen the flowers attached to headbands which might be cute too. To make clips, find alligators clip and coordinating ribbon to the flower.

Cover the alligator clip with ribbon by securing the ribbon with hot glue. I cover the whole thing but I know others just cover the top "jaw". I have also found that when you cover the clips using a ribbon with texture will stay in fine hair better than using a "silky" type ribbon.

Finished clip.


Then attach the flower to the clip with a little hot glue and you have a finished product!


1 comment:

amynewby said...

Awesome Mitzi! Those are so pretty, great job on the tutorial! :)