Monday, January 17, 2011

Fabric rosettes/rolled flowers

Okay, so my latest obsession is fabric rosettes/rolled flowers. Here are some great tutorials:

Little Birdie Secrets

Some of This and Some of That

(I haven't tried this way yet, but it seems MUCH easier and less messier making them on a felt circle. I'm going to try this way next!

*Materials* fabric, scissors, felt, fabric glue or glue gun, embellishments.

You can use old clothes (*bonus on clothes! Use the buttons, snaps, whatever, it's amazing!) leftover fabric, old jewelry (also a huge bonus!) for the extra awesomeness...I just love making these because: they are easy, use glue, I can recycle old/stained clothes and earrings/necklaces. Here's some pictures of what I've made so far and I'll list what materials I used: (Sorry for some of the fuzzy pics!)



I made these two matching rosettes to give to a friend at her baby shower. For the pink I used an old dress of Lizzy's that had a small stain (these clothes were all clean and washed :) and for the light green and patterned green, two old shirts of mine. Sweet. I bought some stringed pearls and the heart at Jo-Ann's, and in the green is an old earring and in the patterned green is a fake diamond jewel-thingy. I bought a small bag of them at Jo-Ann's also, they and the pearls have come in very useful. The can of pearls that has a TON was 2.50 and the small bag of diamonds was around there too.


Sorry this picture is on it's side, but I made this Saturday night to go with my pink top for Sunday :) I bought 1/4 yd of the bright pink at Jo-Ann's (it makes a ton and if you only get 1/4 it's way cheaper) and in the center is one of the jewels and an earring and another small earring in the yellow and three pearls cut from the strand of them in the light pink. The light pink is from an old dress and the yellow is from a bed sheet. Crazy, i know. Kind of sounds weird but it works! :>) The love charm was from a necklace of mine that I like so it was nice to incorporate it into something new that was still mine.


All three of these fabrics I got at Jo-Ann's. I walked around dumping fabric-roll after fabric-roll into my cart and asked the lady for 1/4 yd of all of them :>) I got a lot to try and they only came to about $6. Anyway... in the center of the blue/teal color are the three pearls, on top of the pink is a little bit of light-tan net/tulle (can't remember which one I got) and a white button that came off that old pink dress of Lizzy's. In to the middle of the yellow is my personal favorite - an old earring. I could use a whole bag of those, love the color. I just bent the rod of the earring up so that it would lie flat.


Can I just say how much I love having a girl?? With a mess of boys, it's fun to have this princess to play with. She wanted me to make her a bow, so she looked throught my hodge-podge of old jewelry and stuff and she picked a metal butterfly. I was dubious, but I told her she was right and that it turned out great. She even had a butterfly on her dress, so it made her very happy :) the white and the pink were from Jo-Ann's and in the middle of the white are two small diamonds from some old earrings, and in the middle of the pink is a jewel with a pearl near the outside of the flower.


I was trying to come up with designs that used red, white and blue since those are our kids' school uniform colors. I just realized I could incorporate khaki too, I'll have to try that, the boys have some very holey pants I was going to convert into shorts. Anywho, all the fabric was stuff I had, I especially love the red and cream one. In the middle of that one is a snap from one of Grant's old onesie. Crazy huh?! A snap. From a onesie. I'm feelin' good :) I put a little pearl in the center of it. In the middle of the dark blue are three pearls ( I know, they're in everything!) and the light blue is from that same onesie the snap came from and there is a jewel in it's center.


Denim from old jeans and flannel-like fabric from my mom's stash I went through years ago. Center is an old earring that has lost it's mate and also part of a chain from an old necklace.


I like this fabric, kind of like plaid tweed? My british ancestors would be so proud. In the very center is a button with a jewel, and surrounding it are jewels and pearls.


The bottom fabric is black, from a pair of pants that I got bleach on. on top of the black is red and zebra striped fabric I braided together first and then twisted into a circle (see the above tutorial links). On top of that is a button with a jewel and behind it all is some black netting/tulle with a strip of the black and white.


The dark blue/plaid fabric has part of a chain and an earring, the white and light green striped has a white, fabric-covered button from an old dress, and the green has three pearls. The small rosettes are from the yellow sheet.


The top is black with a short string of the pearls with an earring back, the green has a button and pearl, and the tweed has a jewel. Thanks to my 7 yr old for coming to the rescue when he saw me trying to take a picture of the back of my head ;)


They also make great gifts. I had no wrapping paper, so desperation was the mother of invention here and I used tulle/netting and a piece of the looooooong pearl strand. Still have tons left :)


Okay, I think I've bored you enough. I got a box of alligator clips from Sally's for about $5. Put a skinny piece of felt inbetween the prongs and glue one side of the clip to the bottom of the rosette arrangements. I glued my clips upside down because it fit better that way. The felt inbetween helps so glue doesn't seep through and get all over your clip and hair. I also place the clip so that the part you pinch to open it is at the top of the arrangement, not at the bottom where you could see it from underneath. It also kind of bumps the arrangement out a bit, but it's a lot less noticeable when you place it facing downward. Sorry if that's confusing. It also helps to have a big mirror by you while you're putting your rosettes together so you can hold stuff up to your hair to see if the arrangements you're making work. You can clip these babies to your hair, headbands, in the back of your hair snuggled next to your updo or bun, on your purse, coat lapel, shoes, baby girl headbands.. so many possibilites :) Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

I tried making these over Christmas too! Ended up making a headband for my niece and one for my little girl that matched her Christmas dress! Loved it! I love your embellishments! Super easy and you can basically use whatever material or ribbon except for costume satin (which I tried and it frays way to much)!